Thursday, February 11, 2010

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own

OK. I'm fucking done. Hell, more than fucking done, with this whole argument of how I need a bigger apartment or that I somehow need a house. Why? Why do I need a bigger place or a house?
And the defending arguement is seemingly always that 'Your throwing away money on rent. It's better if you own' and shit like that. It seems to me that owning a house is more expensive than renting. And with all you have to put into it, doesn't it seems that you'll never make that money back?
Frankly, this is where America fucked up over sixty years ago; Suburbia. I hate the suburbs! I may have been raised there, but I can't stand it. The creation of the suburbs raped the land of local food production, created more roads than we can keep up with and pushed animals out of thier homes and habitats.

1. We are suffering because we have killed off our farms and now have to import food since we can no longer grow it since we all have to have a house. Suburban sprawl is killing everything in its path! And I have to ask, and wonder, when is it going to stop? Frankly, I see this country and planet on the road to looking like Trantor or Coruscant before we even know it!
2. Roads are failing in America because we can't keep them up to the abuse we put them under. Our infrastructure is failing fast and we are too fucking worried about what celeBRATy is doing what or who. We are more focused on our "Reality TV" and the lies that the Mainstream Mass Media Whores throw at us than the work that really needs to get done.
And America will fail, not because we don't have Universal Health Care or Immigration Reforms or anything like that. This country will fail because we will soon lose the ability to get around and get goods and services to where they need to go!
We'd rather have new fancy roads than to fix the ones we really need and use. Fuck that! Take that money and repair our failing roads and build a sustainable National Public Transportation System! Build comprehensive public transit in our cities!
But I guess that makes too much sense.
3. The further we move our suburbs and cities out, the more we push out wildlife and then punish and kill that same life because they are looking for food and shelter. Why? Because we took it away from them! How the fuck does that make any sense?!

I love living in the city/urban area since everything I need is right where I am! I step out my door and three blocks north and three blocks south has everything I need. I'm right on a main bus line and that takes me to the MetroLink (light rail), so I can get around town easy.
I don't want to live anywhere else. I see myself and an anti-materialistic bohemian punk, with a touch of goth in there somewhere. Maybe not the truest description, but I don't give a fuck. People who rely on labels are morons too stuck on the Rules of Society to think for themselves. But otherwise, why would I want to live out in the suburbs where you actually do need a car to get to the local market?!
Hell, I've got an international market/grocery store across the street, so I'm good. I've got my favorite Coffee House just three blocks north of my door. There's more 'ethnic' places to eat than you'd want and then we have a bookstore two blocks away! Tell me, how that ain't good livin'? And with the MetroLink just a five or ten minute bus ride north, I can get to the Delmar Loop easy. One of the best places to eat, shop and just have fun. So I'm good where I am.
And anyone who tries to argue that I somehow need more (bigger place or suburban living) or that I need a house, your just fucking jealous that I'm happy with what I already have. Don't take that away cuz you can't feel happy in the same way. Your trapped in your little materialism game and I laugh at you since you can't get out of it.

I say we level the suburbs and move back into the cities! Create sustainable cities at that! Not only are suburbs to blame, but so is the American love of the car. Those two issues go hand and hand.
I want to get rid of mine, but I can't. St. Louis has a shitty public transit system since the Missouri D.O.T is more focused on building new roads and funding other things than getting the needed money to the dying public transit that so many rely on.
Hell, when our bus routes got slice by 55%, the rich people in western St. Louis County (Chesterfield) gave Metro emergency funding so that they could keep thier maids and nannies. Funny how that worked out, since you know public transit doesn't affect or effect suburbian life. Fucking classist cunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment