Sunday, April 15, 2012

100 years later

April 15th, 1912 at 2:20am, The RMS Titanic, an Olympic-class ocean liner, sank into the ocean just two and a half hours after hitting an iceberg. She took with her 1,514 souls to the bottom of the ocean. 710 survived in partially filled lifeboats, capable of holding almost 500 more people.
The sinking of the Unsinkable caused outrage, sorrow and change. In 1914, The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Treaty went into effect. This ensured that enough lifeboats where to be on board all ships along with other safety regulations and constant radio contact. This treaty has been revised 4 times since.

If you can't tell, I'm a tad bit obsessed with The Titanic. I have been since the news broke on September 1st or 2nd of 1985 when Dr. Robert Ballard discovered the wreck. It has fascinated me in ways I can't explain, it's just one of those things in life that you gravitate to. Though the opulence of the ship, the grandeur, is awe inspiring. Trans-Atlantic ships are a lost art and the Titanic was the peak of the art form.
I've seen most of the movies about the ship, have read a couple books and own several pictorial history ones. I was lucky enough to see "Titanic" before the national release in 1997. For me, it was never about the romance. It was about the ship and how the movie showed the most accurate sinking of the Titanic, at the time. New evidence has since come to light.
Every time I see the movie, I cry and cry hard. And usually never for the Jack/Rose love affair (it happens sometimes!) but more for those who died needlessly. To see how they suffered hits me hard. I can watch the sinking of the ship on YouTube and tear up. And this re-release of the movie in 3D has me a bit pissed. Reason is that I can't even go see it on the 100th Anniversary of the sinking because I can't watch 3D movies due to my eyes! A happy fanatic this does not make.

I'm a firm believer that the site of the wreck should be protected by an international mandate. The trash dumped there and taking of artifacts is paramount to graver robbery and desecration. If I had the money, prestige and fame, I'd back this movement full force. The Titanic disaster changed the world and it should be honored accordingly.

Another thing is that The Titanic symbolizes, in a microcosm, Human civilization. You have different classes of people with the top class wanting for nothing while riding on the backs of the lower classes. When disaster strikes, the top class has an unobstructed access to safety with little to no consideration of those "lower" than them. This doesn't change until a major disaster or catastrophe happens. And even then, most times it changes just enough to appease the masses. This has happened before, it will happen again until the masses make the cycle stop and create a new one where everyone is safe, regardless of class.

So, here it is 100 years later to the day. I remember and I'll never forget. The Ship of Dreams will live on as a lesson and a legend. To the survivors who've all since passed on, to those who didn't survive the night 100 years ago and to the RMS Titanic itself...may you all Rest In Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment