Sunday, March 23, 2014

Open and Poly stress

So tonight on Growlr, a "hook up" app on Android, I got another annoying ass ending to a talk that just ends up with me fuming! Was chatting it up with this nice guy and he stated that he wished I wasn't in a relationship because I sound like I'd be fun to date. I told him that my relationship with my Husband is open and we're polyamorous and that dating me wasn't an issue.
He went on a decent rant about how he needs to be the "one and only" in a relationship. Whatever. No one is ever the "one and only" in any intimate/romantic relationship! If that was the case, why do men and women check people out while in relationships? Why do people go to strip clubs? You still look, you still lust. Just because you're dating someone doesn't end your natural curiosities. The benefit of being open and poly is that you can explore those curiosities in other people!
It's not like I expect to be The One a guy ends up with. I'm not that shallow, stupid or naive.To be fair to all involved, I would strive to treat the men in my life as equals. Don't misunderstand, my Hubby and I have been together 14 years and are stronger than ever. He's mine and I'm his. He is first when you look at time together and I'm sure that there would be some preferences in play. However, we recognize that monogamy doesn't work for us, especially him since he's Bisexual. I would treat any other man I'm with as an equal to my Hubby, as I would expect him to do to any girlfriend he has.
It's so damn frustrating and I wish I knew how to get this simple idea across to people! I don't get how people can be so limiting to themselves. If you want to find marriage, then stop looking! It'll find you! Hell, I wish someone could sit me down and tell me how they know, without a doubt and absolute certainty, that what they're looking for that they won't find that in me. There's got to be someone with a backbone strong enough to do so! How can someone know that what they're looking for isn't presented to them in a way that they never expected?! Why ignore it because it isn't what they expected or wanted?
I wanted someone to love so bad and I stopped looking and then in a few months, my Hubby fell in my lap. He isn't what I was looking for or even wanted back then. But he is what I needed and he's become everything that I never thought I wanted. If I didn't take a chance on someone who wasn't what I was looking for, look at what I could have missed! I have to wonder how many people do that, miss/skip over the one person who'll be the answer to the question that they've been asking for, just because they don't arrive in the package they'd hoped for. How much frustration and sadness could be avoided if more people took chances?
Don't even get me started on those who don't want to risk friendships. If your friendship is strong, it can survive a stab at dating. If not, your friendship wasn't as strong as you thought. Yes, dynamic will change, but come on people, this is what maturity is supposed to be about! Being able to handle adult situations like adults! I just don't get people, I really don't!
People want to love and be loved; to hold and be held. Yet whenever the chance/opportunity comes along, they ignore it due to fear or what is presented doesn't fit the image in their head or the situation that they've fantasized about. That's just madness and insanity to me! Time and again, The Universe tries to give you what you've asked for in a way that you need it, not the way you want it. Learn to see this!

I still just wanna slap the hell outta that guy on Growlr...

1 comment:

  1. Erick, honey, you do so "get" people; your rant contained both the questions and the answers. You are one smart and caring guy. Don't let the turkeys get you down. Anyone who was fishing for you to drop Hubby so that he could be your "one and only", even before you had your first date, was bound to be more trouble than he was worth.

    ReplyDelete